Friday, December 26, 2008

Winter Thoughts-Part II

As she lay dying in the comforts of a Serta, I sat on a wooden chair in my dorm room clad in jeans, a pink sweater, pink Converses and a black Bic pen held between clinched teeth. I watched as the reactions from the organic chemistry book blurred into a black swirl of winter thoughts and the death and dying pre-final, simply died on the desk. I saw a roach climb up beyond the rumpled blankets and sheets on the bed flush with the wall. I watched clearly as it crawled with persistence and determination towards the doorjamb of the bathroom door where it met another roach doing nothing but waiting from its perch for a connection.

Something snapped as the roaches collided antennas moving excitedly in heated bonded connections. Something deep inside me drowned in the winter thoughts of death's finality and that soon she would be dead and cold within my memories and within a wooden box. My heart broke yet again into millions of compartmentalized feelings and unspoken words and voices that tore jagged at my vocal cords plucking a synergy of want and longing in a world where I was disconnected without her. She was gone before she was gone. Her memories were lost in the transition into her next steps. Her breasts were eaten into open, oozing, seeping winter thoughts of life taken and yet her eyes and heart remained open to the healing that would surely come for the chosen.

It was early Sunday morning as I trampled through the snowdrifts towards nothingness. Sometime during the night, I had fled the confines of winter thoughts and headed north towards connections. I was headed to Massachusetts to my first college experience, to a connection and to the night where I was accosted in a grocery store by a man with a large, sharpened butcher knife who stood boldly before his audience of grocery shoppers including me and a few black friends and announced that he was going to kill him a "n****** tonight. I was mesmerized by the glean of the knife's edge and its intent. I was unimpressed by its holder and his intent.

The snow had already soaked through my pink Converses wetting my jeans up past my ankles. I didn't feel the frigid cold of the wind chill tearing through the pink knit of the sweater. I was coatless and oblivious to the winter snow and to my surroundings. I kept trudging through winter thoughts knowing that if I turned around, she would be dead sooner. If I kept moving forward, I would buy her and her Universe time to rethink the inevitable. I needed to suffer so that she would no longer have to.

Winter thoughts returned to the grocery store and the proclamation of life taken, mine. I paid for my limited snacks as my friends ran screaming from the store. The store clerks appeared paralytic in shock as ingrained movements of checking pushed my items past the scanner and robotic arms collected monies and bagged items. Their eyes were lifeless as their jobs went on beyond their collective consciousness and the man stood waving his knife, groceries packed in a cart waiting to kill him a "me."

The oppression of the South tore at my memories as my life in the Projects resurfaced the hideousness of scares already etched within my being and something snapped as a historical string of legacies stood me up proud and surrounded me with the buffaloes of my heritage and the drums of my life story. I walked deliberately in front of him as he waved the knife dangerously close to the slow heave of my chest and words emerged from my mouth and saved my life that night.
"I have been to the mountaintop of hell and witnessed the glory of a majestic heaven.
What you propose to do tonight is your hell and your journey. I will not walk away
from you and your intent. I will fight the good fight as your knife plunges deep into
the existing scars of my flesh and carves out the final breath of "her" life."

It was surreal moment for everyone in the store as each of us stood still waiting for his next move. I was caught in the final breath of "her" life, disconnected from my own. My breath was caught in the raising of his arm and the plunging of his intent. And then he stopped inches away from the curve of my heart and the arms of angels pulled me backward slowly, mechanically towards the open door of the store beyond the still profiles of the man and the workers.

They kept me walking through the ice on the sidewalks and the snow along the street edges until I reached the dorm and then they left me safe and ready to move onto another college experience. They brought me back to "her" and another college experience. Now she was dying and I was moving north, yet again, back beyond the store to the one person who had started my pre-med experience, "My Organic Chemistry teacher." She would help me understand oxidation and reduction reactions and how to use them to save her. She would know how to make my winter thoughts into summer hopes and keep my dying heart connection alive.

No comments: